Turkey is a poultry product. Turkey meat is used for food. Domestic turkeys are specially referred for roasted or baked. North America and Turkey both countries are famous for their traditional dish turkey cuisine. This dish signifies their cultural values. It is up to you that, well there are many types of cooking turkey but here I am going to tell about roasted turkey. In this article, I describe to types of cooking (roast) turkey in the convection oven and in the regular oven.
Usually, turkey is famous for roast or bake in an oven. For baking, we can use a frozen turkey meat and either fresh. Compared to other bird’s turkey meat is obvious for the nutritious and protein.
Before start cooking must remember these points
- The right method for roasting turkey in an oven is to put turkey in the center of the lower rack by this way your turkey will be fit.
- If you are roasting turkey pieces in two pans then take pans in the opposite corner of the oven.
- For roasting oiling turkey with the brush is not important in the convection oven. If you want to use special gravy or juice then apply these in the last hour of cooking.
- For the best turkey cooking, take 1-1/2 to 2 inches space from oven walls or even pans.
- Observe the oven door if it is free for open, then heat loss chances will more.
- If your turkey is folded with silver paper to reduce brown skin, make sure the paper is secured so it will not blow around and impair the fan action.
- Fold wings and legs of turkey with silver paper to avoid fast browning.
Cook a turkey in Regular Oven
You do not have to be an expert for cooking turkey in a regular oven. It is very simple to roast a turkey. Turkey is a bird and many people want this poultry bird as a roasted meat. A regular oven takes more time for cooking than a convection oven so you have to take the little patience for the best cooking result. Turkey meat is white and white meat takes less time for cook than red meat but here we are going to know the actual method of a roasted full turkey in a regular oven. A common turkey have weight from 8 to 10 pounds, we have to manage this weighted meat over a regular oven. This will be possible with as little attention. Follow the below steps and ready to have a delicious turkey ever!
The method which we are going to use is best for 12 to 16-pound turkey weight.
- If you have a frozen turkey then leave it for the maximum till it melts fully.
- Clean the internal side of giving turkey before cooking and carry for the roast.
- Set 15 minutes of your turkey cooking time if you have stuffed turkey.
- Give 450 F temperature to a regular oven for preheating.
- You can spray or baste turkey with vegetable oil.
- After basting put turkey into the regular oven.
- After putting turkey, close the oven door carefully and drop the temperature to 350 F and leave if for 4 to 5 hours approximately.
- You can wrap the thighs and wings of turkey with silver foil to prevent the black-brown skin.
- Check the thigh part of turkey after 2two hours. If it cooked then set the temperature on 165F.
- When the turkey is in the oven for cook, do not waste your time and prepare a gravy of your taste and choice.
- When you see your meat is about to cook then open the oven door safely and leave the roasted turkey for 15 minutes before serve.
2. Cook a turkey in the Convection Oven
For the cooking (roasting), we use turkey meat as whole turkey breast. It takes less time in a convection oven as compared to a regular oven. A convection oven can circulate hot air around the oven for faster cooking.
It depends on your convection oven manufacturer, that how much time is taken for the traditional roasting. Modern convection is coming now and then takes 10 to 40% less time for the cooking. In this situation, a convection oven temperature is less than to 300 degrees. While some convection oven has their own formula to regulate its temperature. Many companies provide the formula table on the front of the convection oven. The modern convection oven is featured with an electronic thermometer to assist right cooking or roasting.
If you do not have an automatic thermometer convection oven then, it is better to use a regular thermometer, to confirm the internal temperature of turkey meat. In the high temperature should have to reach 180 degrees F while breast temperature has to be 170 degrees F. If you have a stuffed turkey piece than the temperature registers 160 degrees F also.
If you will follow these below steps properly. Then you will have the tastiest and juicy turkey on your dinner table.
STEP 1: After taking start first you have to select the turkey size, and for how many people you will going to serve your roasted turkey. About a piece of one pound meat should enough for one person, and an ideal bird has the weight of 12-15 pound for cooking.
STEP 2: If your bird is frozen then thawing meat is an important step but if your turkey is fresh then no need of thaw. Usually, thawing takes about 3-4 hrs for a piece of a pound and for the 15 pounds bird it may take 2 days.
STEP 3: Your next step is to clean turkey. Sometimes we have not a clean turkey in this situation after that you have to cut and throw giblet, neck and liver. Other you can cook these part in your gravy also.
STEP 4: Now on your convection oven and preheat it. Set its regulator on 350F degrees for 15 minutes before roasting
STEP 5: Before putting turkey inside a convection oven. Use olive oil with brush and massage turkey meat.
STEP 6: Fold wings and legs of turkey meat with silver paper, this foiling will save turkey skin from fast browning.
STEP 7: Now put turkey in the convection oven for cooking and set your oven on the 260 degrees for best cooking.
STEP 8: Wait for 3 to 4 hours for a best-roasted turkey meat and at the end take turkey out. you can check the meat with a knife or fork for perfect cook also
STEP 9: At the end, your turkey is ready to eat you can easily serve the roasted turkey with your family and friends.
This table will help you more for a perfect cooking in a convection oven:
Whole Turkey Oven Temperature Cooking Time (hours)
8 – 12 pounds 250-325°F 3 – 4 hours
12 – 16 pounds 250 – 325°F 4 – 5 hours
16 – 20 pounds 250 – 325°F 5 – 6 hours
20 – 24 pounds 250 – 325°F 6 – 7 hours
Making gravy for Roasted Turkey
Gravy is also must with roasted turkey to eat. some people use different sauces while others make a cooked gravy with some ingredients. the best time for gravy making is when your turkey is in the oven for roasting it takes a lot of time to roast and in this time you can easily make a gravy with your own type of taste.
when you observe that your turkey meat is about to cook then you should take it out from oven and place on the cutting board for serve. before serving turkey cover turkey with foil for being hot and crispy.
1. Butter four tablespoon.
2. Corn Flour 4 tablespoon.
3. Salt half tablespoon.
4. Peper half tablespoon.
Method: we will start with melting butter in a pan on medium heat. after melting add flour in the pan, then continuously stirring with a spoon for 3 minutes. or you can stir till it takes light brown clour. after a few minutes of stirring add salt and pepper in a mixture and cook for a while on medium heat. cook this mixture on medium heat till it turns thicker. You can add some spices of your taste and whiskey also.
Your gravy is done and ready to serve!
The convection oven has a fan which moves the hot air around turkey. it cooks 30% faster than a regular oven. The regular oven has no fan to circulate hot air around the cooking object, and that is why the turkey cooks faster in a convection oven than regular. With the help of this informative article, you will get approached to cook a turkey in both convection and regular oven. Keep some points in your mind also before turkey cooking in the oven, then follow any method according to the availability of an oven type which you have.